Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Beginning... of Our Adoption Story

I remember the day my husband came home from work nearly six years ago and had me sit at the kitchen table. A serious conversation was obviously in the works. You see, about a week prior, I had finished reading Max Lucado's book, "Cure for the Common Life". Max referenced how we were all created with inner desires that were given to us as children that would shape our future and what we wanted to do with our life.

After I read the book, I told Erich that I was created to be a wife and mother. It is a dream I have had since I was very young. My deepest desire was to be a stay-at-home mother in order to raise our children according to our values and principals. I simply mentioned this to Erich after reading the book and then I dropped it. He knew my struggles of infertility and the pain it caused me, but I didn't know how much he really listened and cared until that day at the kitchen table.

Erich boldly announced that after much prayer and consideration, that he felt it was the right thing for us to adopt a child in order to fulfill my heart's desires. I was flabergasted! He did not beat around the bush and say, "What do you think of this option?" On the contrary, he was very confident that this was where God was leading our family. I can't say that we both did not have moments of hesitation or thoughts of "we must be crazy" down the road, but we put our trust in God's plan A for us over the next six years.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment